10/24/08

The Food That Makes My World Go 'Round

So I just finished lunch, and food is still fresh on the mind. I have been in love with food my whole life and quite frankly eating is one of my favourite things to do (besides giving hugs). The food here has fully captivated me. To the majority of expat pallettes, Ugandan food is bland, boring and a bucket of starch. To me, I have found pure beauty in it. It is some of the freshest food I have ever had. Everyday at the office I am blessed with a giant plate or rice, freshly cooked beans in tomato sauce and onions, a slice of steamed sweet potato, and a large helping of steamed plantain (matouke). AHH it is incredible. I usually get the symptoms of "dosing" as many Ugandans do after eating this carb loaded delight. haha but it is all part of the joy of eating here.

Yesterdays lunch was a shocker. I am eating my beans, rice, matouke and sweet potato as usual, reading the news on my latop. Halfway through my meal, I looked down and there were 5 thumbnail sized worms squigglin around in my beans, and a bunch of thin long clear worms in the mix with them. haha I have really come to not care about things here, as I found myself pick out the large worms and throw them out the window, mix in the rest, and continue on eating as if nothing had happened. haha I could definately see myself stranded in a rainforest, turning over rotten logs, eating grubs to survive. I now know I have it in me.. :)

On to the ROLEX!! AHH Uganda's most amazing cuisine treasure. The streets are dotted with little tiny food stands advertising "rolex and chapati". When I first arrived here I literally thought they were selling watches and bread. hahaha Upon closer look I discovered a little piece of heaven. Chopped cabbage, tomato, green pepper and onion fried with 2 eggs and rolled up into a fresh chapati. This has become by far my most favourite food globally. Of all the places I have lived and all the food I have been exposed to, nothing hits home and satisfies the gut and soul like a Rolex. I am currently considering bringing this ingenious delicacy to the streets of Canada, where profit margins for this treat would skyrocket. (if you are reading this please dont steal the idea. hahahah)

Ahhhh food. How I love you!!!

No comments: