12/2/08

Kampala Pentecostal Church

Piling up outside the massive building in a zig-zag rope line; in this moment I feel like I am waiting to get on an exciting roller coaster, or in line at the movies to see the next big screen hit. Only this time, the main attraction is Jesus. The doors open, and like a crowd rushing the doors at a Christmas bargain sale, we flow into the church and rush to get our seats.

Walking into the church you almost feel as though you are at a concert, a free concert… well, minus the tithe. haha A huge choir of 60+ bright eyed, smiling faces, in decorative vibrant traditional African costume, swaying back and fourth, singing in complete unison and harmony. The energy in the room was at a level I had never experienced in life thus far. People standing and clapping, some dancing, hands raised to the roof, all singing along to the words, projected on a screen that would put the Jumbo-tron to shame back home. Walls colourfully decorated and painted with African designs, fancy, flashing lights following along to the music. This was something I had never seen. Church back home is so dry and drab; a congregation of grey heads making their weekly outing to the local church. KPC was alive and thriving, a young congregation livened in the spirit, a sense of community, of acceptance and welcoming. It was beautiful. Hands raised to the roof, reaching out for the divine spirit and guidance, people breaking into groups of three to pray for one another, it was all a place of worship I could have never envisioned.

Singing high energy songs one after the other for a half hour, I thought to myself “wow, church isn’t so bad after all”.. The songs ended, and the lights turned low, the big screen flashed KPCNN (Kampala Pentecostal Church News Network).. Modern music pumping over the loud speakers, young hip youth discussing the upcoming events (dance competitions, guest speakers coming this month, events to get involved in, etc). It was creative, engaging, and far more up to date of the times and technology then I have seen in North America. I thought to myself “where am I?? Is this Uganda?” I felt like I was in a Christian Twilight Zone.

The news channel ended, and with a flash came on the pastor decked out in jeans, a white shirt, a rainbow belt and red converse. He was lively; an agile 56 year old, preaching with passion, running and jumping on the stage, arms flailing to and fro. It was as if this man was Robin Williams younger brother, bouncing around the stage like Bugs Bunny on speed. He brought positive messages, in realistic approaches and was hopeful of change and gave examples of possible actions to take. The sermon kept my attention.

Does this mean I am going to become Christian? No.. What it does do though is provide an open, engaging atmosphere that one can actually go and listen to Christian teachings without being turned off. For this I am thankful, and ever so glad to have found Kampala Pentecostal Church. I will return in coming weeks, if not just for the free concert ;)

No comments: